A week or so ago, I attended a seminar for Maths teachers. The presenter frustrated me with his poor presentation skills, and so as not to become completely distracted, I wrote out a list of things to be mindful of when presenting.
- The presenter should have a device (be it a wireless mouse, clicker device or even a wired mouse) that is away from their computer to advance slides… rather than stepping over to the machine to press spacebar.
- As a presenter, don’t look at the screen to read your slides. Print off a copy on paper, or have your laptop angled so you can read it.
- Whilst you shouldn’t be putting lots of information on a slide, if you do – give your audience a copy so they don’t become distracted writing notes.
- Make sure your laptop is plugged into the power.
- Make sure you have your screensaver turned off.
- Make sure you know what is in your own handout, and on what page.
- Learn how to connect your computer to a network, so you can gain internet access.